Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has dissociated himself from alleged statements and materials circulating online linking him with support for banditry in Nigeria.
Gumi, in a press statement issued in Kaduna on Saturday, described the reports as fake, manipulated and doctored by individuals and groups pursuing ethnic and sectional interests.
He said that some of his media interviews, public lectures and comments on insecurity had been deliberately misrepresented by certain internet content creators seeking sensational headlines and online traffic.
“I hereby state unequivocally that any video clip, written statement, or message attributed to me, whether directly or by innuendo suggesting support for, justification of, protection of, or advocacy for banditry in Nigeria or anywhere else, does not emanate from me,” he said.
The Islamic cleric reaffirmed his loyalty to Nigeria, describing the country as a nation with unmatched potential.
He urged the public, media organisations and government authorities to disregard any misleading materials being circulated in his name.
Gumi also warned that individuals or groups continuing to spread falsehoods against him from the date of the statement would face legal action.
The cleric expressed hope that Nigeria would overcome its security challenges and that victims of violence across the country would find comfort in the collective resolve of Nigerians and the international community to end insecurity.
He attributed the persistence of insecurity to factors such as ignorance, poverty and widespread social injustice, while calling for lasting solutions to the crisis.
(NAN)

